Examples of Professional Achievements
The following are exemplary case results from Brian H. Krikorian's career:
- Successfully defended a publicly traded Los Angeles-based media and entertainment firm in a multi-day, aggressively contested, unfair competition commercial arbitration claim, surrounding complex licensing and entertainment distribution issues.
- First-chaired the defense of a heart-valve company against a claim of reverse sexual harassment and disability discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act brought by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the plaintiff employee. Plaintiff's pre-trial settlement demand was $1.5 million dollars. After a two-week trial, the jury returned a defense verdict on the sexual harassment charges, and found that the plaintiff failed to mitigate his damages on the disability claim. After successful post-trial motions, the Judge reduced the jury's verdict to $7,000.00 and denied plaintiff's claim for costs in excess of tens of thousands of dollars.
- Litigated complex partnership fraud/derivative action against the majority general partner and partnership. Negotiated and drafted buyout documents including pledge and security agreement and UCC-1 security agreements.
- Represented national hotel chain in an ADA and ADEA discrimination case filed in Los Angeles Superior Court. Disposed of case on demurrer and on summary judgment.
- Obtained a judgment in excess of $1.7 million for nine insurance companies in a commercial contract action against an insurance brokerage firm and its principals.
- Represented Los Angeles-based media and entertainment firm against a claim of wrongful termination and sexual harassment. After an exchange of correspondence, the claimant abandoned her allegations, which saved the company tens of thousands of dollars in fees and exposure.
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict in excess of $280,000.00 on behalf of insurance company, and defeated cross-complaint for bad faith
- Represented client through successful summary judgment motion and appeal in obtaining disgorgement of fees and Consumer Protection Act award (later remanded on appeal). Cotton v. Kronenberg, 44 P.3d 878, 111 Wash.App. 258, (April 2002)
- Briefed and argued before the Washington Supreme Court the matter of In re Parentage of L.B., Carvin v. Britain, which presented the issue of whether a same-sex former domestic partner of a child’s biological parent can be considered a de facto parent who is entitled to visitation despite the objections of the custodial biological parent
- Successfully defended party in a jury trial regarding the exploitation and breach of an exclusive license agreement of a silk screening patent process
- Successfully prosecuted on behalf of the landlord a re-trial of a breach of lease matter against national organic food chain, resulting a jury verdict and judgment in favor of the landlord in excess of $750,000
- Successfully tried a breach of fiduciary duty matter against an attorney dealing with conflicts of interest and dual representation issues.
- Successfully tried to verdict a legal ethics claim against a lawyer, including damages and disgorgement relief, for breach of RPC 1.5 and 1.8 issues regarding conflict of interests and misuse of trust funds.
- Successfully tried to verdict a legal malpractice and fiduciary duty claim against a lawyer and his firm for failing to identify proper conflicts of interest, failing to provide proper communication and advice on a $1.45 million dollar loan.
- Successfully defended to defense verdict a complex, multiple count counterclaim involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, wrongful death, and self-dealing.